Let’s Make the CASL Act an Annual Event!
Wonder why they are all asking right now? Dozens and dozens of emails from all kinds of firms you’ve never ever heard of? All urging you to QUICK click here….sigh….
Welcome to the notice clause of the CASL – Canada Anti Spam Legislation Act that was passed recently and here’s the details from the govt’ site -
“Canada’s new anti-spam law was passed in December 2010 and, following a Governor in Council order, it will enter into force on . Once the law is in force, it will help to protect Canadians while ensuring that businesses can continue to compete in the global marketplace. On , sections of the Act related to the unsolicited installation of computer programs or software come into force.
When the new law is in force, it will generally prohibit the:
- sending of commercial electronic messages without the recipient’s consent (permission), including messages to email addresses and social networking accounts, and text messages sent to a cell phone;
- alteration of transmission data in an electronic message which results in the message being delivered to a different destination without express consent;
- installation of computer programs without the express consent of the owner of the computer system or its agent, such as an authorized employee;
- use of false or misleading representations online in the promotion of products or services;
- collection of personal information through accessing a computer system in violation of federal law (e.g. the Criminal Code of Canada); and
- collection of electronic addresses by the use of computer programs or the use of such addresses, without permission (address harvesting).
Hence the big infux of those INBOX emails from other sites that if you’re at all like me you have no memory of ever signing up for, and I mean BIG….I’ve collected more than 143 of same….and yup I too have no idea on who many many of same are about.
So what you might ask?
Well the interesting thing I think is that if you do NOT click on the “yeah, keep on sending me emails” link in these CASL notices, then they have to stop sending you emails…note the legal ones do…spammers ain’t bothered by CASL at all! But for real companies….it’s the law!
No yes = no more email spam!
So here’s what I propose….that each year on July 1st, every single online legit firm sending out emails must once again, send out that same “No yes = no more emails” notice…giving every single Canuck the ability to “disengage” from the flux of INBOX emails that not only we mostly don’t even recognize, but want either!
You with me on this?
Think of it as a real Canada Birthday present for all of us online Canucks, eh!
Now that’s a present we would all enjoy!Google