24 Hours in the Google Economy!
If it’s one guy I especially like when it comes to reading his “take” on all things marketing, it’s Oli Gardner of unbounce.com – and yes, he’s done it again! His take on the latest infographic, published by Wordstream entitled “24 Hours in the Google Economy” is pretty dang spot on and you must both go to look over the longish infographic here first….then read Oli’s take here.
See what I mean?
Well first, Wordstream intro’d the piece as follows…
“On the heels of Google’s “disappointing” earnings announcement last Friday – they generated a whopping $10.8 billion in advertising revenues in Q3 2012, up 5% from the previous quarter and up 16% year over year – I conducted an analysis to shed some light on just how they pulled this off “
As you can see, what they intend for their following infographic to show is those 3rd quarter results but in a way that compares normal organic search versus PPC or display adverts as they call them. And as everyone knows, Google is an advertising company – first and foremost. And the article itself, with the accompanying infographic spells it out completely…well, in depth that I’m afraid many of you just might miss. Here’s some of the stats in bulleted format fyi….
- Google makes over $100 million a day from online ads!
- Businesses use AdWords to generate 13 million conversions every day!
- Finance has the highest cost per click of any industry using #AdWords … AND the most completed sales (1.39 million a day!)
- Google PPC ads convert at the highest rates in the Internet & Telecom industry
- Big e-commerce sites like Amazon and Walmart enjoy the highest average click-thru rates on Google Ads
- It would take you 178 years with no sleep to read through ALL the search ads Google serves up in a single day!
- More people click on Google Ads every day than the entire population of Brazil!
- If Google’s Q3 ad revenues were lined up dollar-to-dollar, they’d wrap around the Earth 42 times!
He makes a great business case as to why the numbers are so surprising…why there is a lack of growth, in fact a decrease in the average costs per click but an impressive growth in ads and clicks.
Think about that for a minute. More and more people are advertising via PPC and more and more people are clicking on same. Why? Ah…the magical question and by reading Oli you’ll get an answer for that too!
Thinking about PPC for your SMB operation? Are you in the sales channel or financial or travel…the numbers are pretty intersting….and if this is your channel…then this infographic and Oli’s take on same are well worth the clicks eh!
Oh, and if you’re as impressed as I am with Oli, then go here to see what he had to blog about on newbies and online marketing at the prestigious seomoz.com!