Online Marketing Program: 3.1 Social Media Authority
One of the key components in successful social media marketing implementation is building “social authority.“
Social authority is developed when an individual or organization establishes themselves as an “expert” in their given field or area, thereby becoming an “influencer” in that field or
Why can that be important to SME business owners?
It is through this process of “building social authority” that social media becomes effective. That is why one of the foundational concepts in social media has become that you cannot completely control your message through social media but rather you can simply begin to participate in the “conversation” in the hopes that you can become a relevant influence in that conversation.
However, this conversation participation must be cleverly executed because while people are resistant to marketing in general, they are even more resistant to direct or overt marketing through social media platforms…
How to become a Social Authority?
Your conversation participation with prospective customers must be cleverly executed…because they are even more resistant to direct or overt marketing through social media platforms…
You cannot expect people to be receptive to a marketing message in and of itself….from social media outlets…as your prospects most trusted company or product information coming from “people like me” — inferred to be information from someone they trusted…
So to become an Authority, you need to establish TRUST and CREDIBLE Authority to your marketplace….
So the Rationale in trying to become a Social Media Authority is…
Someone performing a “marketing” role within a company must honestly convince people of their genuine intentions, knowledge, and expertise in a specific area or industry through providing valuable and accurate information on an ongoing basis without a marketing angle overtly associated…
If this can be done, trust with, and of, the recipient of that information – and that message itself – begins to develop naturally. This person or organization becomes a thought leader and value provider – setting themselves up as a trusted advisor instead of marketer.
Why would being a Social Media Authority be a good way to help build website traffic to your website?
- 38% or more than 1 in every 3 of us, reads via social media a recommendation or referral from a friend — and then follow thru on same! [Empathica.com Report]
- 56% of online businesses spend more than 6 hours weekly on social media marketing? And of that number, 12% of them spend more than 20 hours weekly? [http://www.flowtown.com/blog/everybodys-doing-it-how-marketers-are-utilizing-social-media-in-2010?display=wide]
- Use LinkedIN to get new Targeted Biz Traffic! [CanuckSEO.com]
- Where Social and Rank Meet… [Blumenthals.com/blog]
- Social Media Reality Check [Newswire.ca]
- Infographics for Social Media Understanding [http://searchengineland.com/7-local-web-marketing-infographics-to-overload-your-brain-68444]
- Lee Odden on Social Media [http://www.toprankblog.com/2011/03/integrated-seo-social-media/]
- SEOMoz on Social Medis Authority and Influence [http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/social-authority-meets-search-measuring-influence]
Note the common Venn items…….FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Skype!Google